Skip to content

Gas and electricity arrears

This fact sheet covers England & WalesWe also have a version for Scotland if you need it.

Use this fact sheet to:

  • help you to deal with your energy bills;
  • understand how to prevent disconnection;
  • find out how to get cheaper energy;
  • help you to complain about your supplier; and
  • get advice about energy efficiency.

Most of the advice in this fact sheet can be used to deal with both gas and electricity debts. Where advice is linked to a particular kind of energy, it says so.

The sample letters mentioned in this fact sheet can be filled in on our website.

Extra help because of coronavirus

Energy companies have agreed to do more to help vulnerable people at the moment. Please see our Coronavirus advice for more information.

Breathing space

If you need time to get debt advice and find a debt solution, you may want to consider applying for breathing space.

Breathing space will stop most types of enforcement and also stop most creditors applying interest and charges for 60 days.

To find out more, see our Breathing space fact sheet.

I'm struggling to pay my energy bills

If you have received a high bill and you are not sure how you are going to pay, there are some key steps to take to make it easier for you to deal with.

Check your bill

Bills based on estimated readings may be wrong. If you can take your own readings, read your gas and electricity meters and send the current readings to your supplier. The contact details will be on your bill. Doing this will make your bill more accurate. Bear in mind that if your readings are higher than your supplier’s estimated readings, you may end up with a bigger bill by updating your readings in this way.

It’s always a good idea to make a note of your meter readings when you move into or out of your home. Send your readings to your supplier to get an accurate bill if you are leaving or a clear starting point if you are the new occupier. If you aren’t sure how to read your meter, the Citizens Advice website has a page How to read your energy meter which may help. Alternatively, have a look on your supplier's website to see if they give you the information there. Try to give your supplier at least 48 hours’ notice of your intention to move out, so that they can arrange to read your meter.

Your bill might not be what you expect for a number of different reasons: estimated readings, readings from the wrong meter, a mistake in the meter readings or even a faulty meter. See the page If your energy bill seems too high or low on the Citizens Advice website for advice on what to do in each case.

If you are not the person named on the bill (for example, if it is in the name of someone who has left your home), you may not be legally responsible for the debt up to the date they left. If you are in this position, tell your supplier that you may not be legally responsible for the whole bill. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for help in sorting out what you do and what you don’t owe to your supplier. See the Useful contacts section for details or contact us for advice. The Citizens Advice website has an interactive page Find out if you’re responsible for paying an energy bill which can help you work out whether you are responsible or not.

Back billing rule

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has stated that your supplier should not bill a domestic customer for more than the energy they have used over the previous year. If you have been billed for a full year’s energy charges, ask to be able to repay the debt over the same time, so that it doesn’t cause you hardship.

Landlord reselling energy

Your landlord may pay for the gas or electricity in your home, and resell the energy directly to you. Ofgem, the regulator for the energy sector, sets maximum charges your landlord can sell gas and electricity to you at. You can get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer helpline about how much your landlord is allowed to charge you. Contact your local advice agency or the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you think you may have been overcharged for energy. See the Useful contacts section at the end of this fact sheet for details.

Let your supplier know

Who is my supplier?

See the page Find out who your gas or electricity supplier is on the Citizens Advice website.

It is important to contact your supplier as soon as you know you may have problems paying your bill. They may be able to offer various options to help you.

  • Trust funds and hardship funds: some energy companies have funds which can make payments to clear energy debts and, sometimes, other kinds of payments too. There is a useful booklet on the homepage of the Auriga Services website called Help with Water & Energy. This tells you about most of the funds and support schemes. It’s worth noting that the British Gas Energy Trust will welcome an application, even if you have a different supplier. You can get more information and an application form from their website: You can also get some information, contact details and an application form from the Charis website Let's Talk:
  • Cheaper energy: your supplier might be able to put you onto a cheaper energy tariff, so that your energy costs less. Contact your supplier to see what they can offer. Consider switching to a cheaper tariff from a different supplier. See the section Getting the best energy deal for more information on how to do this.
  • Help with energy efficiency: your supplier may be able to help you with the cost of a more efficient boiler, or other energy efficiency measures. See the section Energy saving help for more information.
  • Meter reading: if you have trouble reading your meter, understanding your bill, or you have a medical or mental health condition which makes it harder for you to manage, ask your supplier to put you on their Priority Services Register so that you get extra help. See the section Priority Services Register for more information.


People can be vulnerable for a wide range of reasons. Vulnerability can be linked to age, physical health, mental health, or going through a difficult time in life. A vulnerability could be temporary or ongoing. You should let your supplier know if there is anything about your circumstances that makes you vulnerable as they may offer you more support if they know this.

You should also check if your supplier has signed up to the Energy UK Vulnerability Commitment. Energy UK is a trade association. Suppliers signed up to the Vulnerability Commitment have said they will provide extra support to vulnerable customers. This includes:

  • making sure staff have an understanding of vulnerability and can identify that you might be in vulnerable circumstances;
  • giving you an alternative way of contacting them in addition to phone contact;
  • providing a freephone number if you are in financial difficulty and they think it is appropriate; and
  • making sure you have paper versions of your bill if this is what you need.

Priority Services Register

Energy suppliers each have a Priority Services Register to identify customers who may need extra help, or who need to be warned when supplies have to be disrupted and reconnected. Ask your supplier to be put on their register if you:

  • are a pensioner;
  • are disabled; or
  • have a long-term medical condition.

If your name is put on the register, you can get:

  • help to read your meter or have it moved;
  • large-print letters and bills;
  • password protection agreed with your supplier, so you know that the person calling is from your energy supplier;
  • advance warning when supplies are going to be stopped for a period; and
  • priority reconnection if your energy supply is disrupted.

If you also own your own home you might also be offered a free, yearly gas safety check of your appliances if you receive an income-based benefit and you:

  • live alone;
  • live with other adults who are all eligible; or
  • live with others, including a child under five years old.

Make an offer you can afford

Your supplier will usually want their bill paid before the next bill is due, but this may not be possible. If you have debt, contact your supplier and ask for a payment arrangement based on what you can afford.

It is very important to budget for ongoing gas and electricity bills. Ask your energy supplier to tell you what your weekly or monthly energy charges are. Alternatively, to work this out add up your bills to find out the total amount for the previous year.

  • To work out weekly charges, divide the total by 52.
  • To work out monthly charges, divide the total by 12.

Put the amount into Your budget as an essential expense. Then add in your other essential expenses. This will show you what surplus you can afford to offer to your supplier and to any other priority creditors. If you need help to work what offer to make to your supplier, contact us for advice.

You can use our sample letter Ask your domestic energy supplier to accept affordable payments.

Your supplier should offer you different payment options and budgeting schemes to suit you. You can ask to pay your bills every week, every two weeks or every month. Keep paying for the energy you are using and an amount off your debt, even while you are trying to make an arrangement.

Fuel Direct

This scheme helps you to pay your energy charges and energy debt from your benefits. An amount is taken to cover your continuing energy use and a set amount is deducted to pay towards your debt. To join the scheme you must be getting one of the following benefits: income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support; Pension Credit; or Universal Credit. Contact your local Jobcentre to set it up.

Ability to pay

Your supplier has to take into account your ability to repay your energy debt. The supplier must:

  • take your individual circumstances into account;
  • make full use of available information, including your budget sheet;
  • make it easy for you to talk to them about concerns you have around your ability to pay; and
  • contact you in a timely manner to discuss whether a different repayment plan is appropriate if you miss a payment on an agreed repayment.

When your supplier knows that you are having difficulty repaying your energy bills, they must either:

  • accept payments by regular instalments based on an agreed plan;
  • use Fuel Direct if you are on particular benefits; or
  • agree repayment through a prepayment meter, if one is appropriate for you.

Your supplier must also offer to provide energy efficiency information to help you reduce your energy charges.

If the first person you speak to is unhelpful, ask to speak to someone more senior. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you need help negotiating an arrangement with your supplier (see the Useful contacts section for details), or contact us for advice.

If circumstances change

If your circumstances change and you cannot afford the payments that you had agreed with your supplier, you can use the Re-negotiate with your energy supplier if your current repayment arrangement is unaffordable sample letter to ask them to accept a lower payment arrangement. It is a good idea to start making the reduced payments.

Prepayment meters

If you have been unable to keep to payments on a payment plan, your supplier may suggest that you have a prepayment meter. On this kind of meter, you pay in advance for the fuel that you are going to use. Prepayment meters can also be set to collect debt from the money that you put in.

  • You must be asked if you want a prepayment meter before your supplier takes action to disconnect your supply. If your supplier fits a meter rather than disconnecting your supply, they should not charge more than £150.
  • If you do not think that it is safe for you to use a prepayment meter for whatever reason: such as your health, disability, or where the meter is located, tell your supplier. They must either make it safe for you to use it or offer you a different payment method.
  • Your supplier must not force you to have a prepayment meter to recover debt if doing so would be severely traumatic for you, due to your mental or psychological state. A more suitable method of collecting the debt should be arranged with you.
  • If your condition or vulnerability has prevented you from sorting out your energy debt with your supplier, they should not charge you for fitting a prepayment meter as a way of sorting out your debt.

If you are on benefits and decide to take a prepayment meter as a way of managing your energy bill, ask your supplier to set the repayments at the same rate that they would get with Fuel Direct, so that you can afford them.

Price cap

From 1 April 2017, Ofgem has introduced a temporary price cap to limit the cost of energy through traditional prepayment meters. Ofgem estimates that this should reduce the typical bill for gas by around £80 each year and by the same amount if you get Economy 7 electricity. But, this price cap will not apply to some smart meters. If you are thinking about changing from a prepayment meter to a smart meter, ask your supplier how this might affect your bill.

Prepayment meter points

  • Prepayment meters allow you to carefully control the amount you spend on energy.
  • Prepayment meters can help you to pay for your energy as you go and avoid future energy debt once you have paid your debt off. But they can also leave you without energy in some situations.
  • If you can’t afford to top up the meter, you may end up without any energy until you can afford to top it up again. See the later section, Self-disconnection and self-rationing.
  • You cannot spread the cost of your energy over the year, as you can with a credit payment plan. When you need the most energy, you might find it difficult to afford what you need.
  • If you are repaying debt through a repayment meter, you can end up in hardship. The meter will be set to recover an amount of money each week. If you go away for a while and come back, you might not be able to get more energy until the outstanding payments have been made. Some meters require you to pay two weeks’ debt repayments before you can get more energy.
  • Meters automatically allow you a small emergency credit, so that you don’t get caught without energy by surprise. Once this has been used up, you will usually need to pay back the emergency credit before you can get back your energy supply.
  • You might leave a fire switched on if the money runs out. This could be a serious danger if you forget that you have left the appliance on and put more money in to restore your supply without first turning it off.
  • If your sight is not good, or you have a disability, you might have difficulty operating the meter. Meters can often be put in a place which makes them easier to use.
  • Topping up the meter can present problems: you might need to make frequent journeys to top up your meter if you can’t afford to pay for much energy at any one time. This can add to the cost of your energy and be difficult to do if you: live in a rural area, if you have dependants or have a disability.
  • It may be difficult to arrange for repayment of energy debt through Fuel Direct if you have already made an arrangement to collect debt through a prepayment meter.

Smart meter topping up

Smart meters measure your energy use and can send this information to your supplier electronically. You may not have to give manual readings as well. Smart meters can be set up as prepayment meters and have a wider range options for topping them up, including: by phone, by internet or with a special app. This can mean that they are easier to use than traditional prepayment meters.

Self-disconnection and self-rationing

If you have a prepayment meter, you could become self-disconnected. This is where you are left without gas or electricity until you can afford to top up your prepayment meter. There are various reasons this could happen, for example forgetting to top up the meter or not realising that the meter was low on credit. If you are in this situation, suppliers are required to provide you with either:

  • an Emergency Credit to top up your meter; or
  • a Friendly-hours Credit at times top up points may be closed. This is usually overnight, at weekends and on public holidays.

These types of credit may be built into your prepayment meter already. If you need this support but are unsure how to access it, contact your supplier.

Even if you can keep your prepayment meter topped up, you may find you can only do this by self-rationing. This is where you limit your energy use to save money, or where you spend less on other goods or services so that you can have an energy supply.

If you are vulnerable, your supplier may be able to provide you with an Additional Support Credit to ensure you have supply of energy. There are a wide range of reasons you could be in a vulnerable situation. For example, living with a physical or mental health issue, experiencing a bereavement, or having a drop in your income. Your supplier should offer you Additional Support Credit if they know you:

  • have self-disconnected;
  • are at risk of self-disconnecting;
  • have self-rationed; or
  • are self-rationing.

Call your supplier if you need this support. Explain your situation and ask them to provide you with an Additional Support Credit. If you are not sure if you are in a vulnerable situation, speak to your supplier or contact us for advice.

Repaying a credit from your supplier

Usually, credit has to be repaid when you next top up your supply. But, if this will not be possible, suppliers have to consider your ability to pay and agree an affordable repayment plan with you. See Make an offer you can afford in the earlier section I’m struggling to pay my energy bills.

Cutting off your energy supply

You should be able to prevent disconnection if you contact your supplier and arrange to repay your debt at an affordable rate, either by instalments, Fuel Direct or through a prepayment meter. You must be asked if you want a prepayment meter before your supply is disconnected, if it is safe to install one.

Landlord not paid the bill

Your landlord may pay the gas or electricity for your home. Contact your local council or the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if your supplier is threatening to cut your supply off because the landlord has not paid the bill. Your local council may have the power to help you avoid disconnection or to restore your energy supply through their local welfare assistance scheme.

Preventing disconnection – winter months

Certain activities concerning gas and electricity may only be carried out with a licence, regulated by Ofgem. Licences contain conditions that licence holders must abide by. The licence conditions provide protection for particular groups of customers during the ‘winter months’, which are: October, November, December, January, February and March.

Standard Licence Condition 27 states that your suppler must not disconnect you during the winter months if you are a domestic customer and you are:

  • a pensioner living alone; or
  • a pensioner living only with other pensioners or children under 18 years old.

Standard Licence Condition 27 also states that your supplier must take all reasonable steps to avoid disconnecting you during the winter months if you are a domestic customer and you are:

  • a pensioner;
  • disabled; or
  • chronically sick.

If your supplier is threatening disconnection of your supply and you are in one of these groups, let your energy provider know straight away. You can also get help from the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. See the Useful contacts section for details.

Preventing disconnection – Energy UK Vulnerability Commitment

The Energy UK Vulnerability Commitment gives vulnerable customers further protection from disconnection. If your supplier has signed up to the Vulnerability Commitment, they will not knowingly disconnect you if:

  • you are vulnerable;
  • your household has children under the age of 6 (or under the age of 16 during 1 October to 31 March); or
  • you cannot safeguard your personal welfare or the personal welfare of other members of the household due to age, health, disability or severe financial insecurity.

Check to see if your supplier has signed up to the Vulnerability Commitment, as not all suppliers have. If you can benefit from the protections offered by the Commitment, tell your supplier that you are vulnerable and need an affordable way of paying for your energy supply. Also ask to be put on the supplier’s Priority Services Register, if you have not already done this.

Time limits

  • If you have not paid your energy bill after 28 days from the date of the bill, your supplier can start action that could lead to disconnection.
  • If you miss an instalment on an agreed arrangement, your supplier can only start action after 28 working days from the date that you missed the payment.

Last resort

Gas and electricity companies cannot cut off your supply unless they have first offered you a range of payment methods to help you pay. They must only disconnect your supply as a last resort and they must give you proper notice first.

  • Electricity suppliers must give you seven working days’ notice in writing that they are going to disconnect your electricity supply because you have not paid your bill.
  • Gas suppliers must give you seven days’ notice in writing that they are going to disconnect your gas supply because you have not paid your bill.

Contact your local council and the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if your supplier is threatening to disconnect your supply. Your local council may be able to help you to avoid disconnection or to restore your energy supply through their local welfare assistance scheme.

If you have children, consider contacting your local social services department for help with your energy payments. Tell your supplier that you have contacted social services as they must delay cutting you off if social services are looking into your case. They will usually hold action for 14 working days but may agree to delay longer. This could give you time to make an arrangement to pay. The Children Act 1989 gives social services the power to make payments in certain circumstances to families with children in need.

It is important that you do reach an agreement before disconnection occurs, because it will be much cheaper to repay your existing debt than to pay for reconnection as well.

Disputed debt

If you are genuinely in dispute about your electricity or gas bill, your supplier should not disconnect your supply. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for help in disputing your bill or if your supplier threatens to disconnect your energy supply. See the Useful contacts section for details.

Old debt and new address

You cannot be disconnected for a gas or electricity bill from an old address if you have moved home. However, you may find it hard to get an energy supply in your new home from the same supplier unless you make an arrangement to pay your debt with them. You may need to use a different supplier for your new address.

Entry into your home

If you don’t come to an agreement to pay your debt, your supplier can apply for a warrant from the magistrates’ court, making it legal for them to enter your home to disconnect your energy supply. They will usually tell you when the magistrates' court hearing will take place. You should contact a local advice agency to see if you can get support at the hearing if you want to stop the warrant.

Even at this late stage, you can contact your supplier to make an affordable offer of repayment before you or your representative goes to court. But, if you do go to court, take copies of your budget to give to the court and your supplier to support your offer. Also take any evidence you wish to present. This could include points about:

  • a dispute about the amount charged;
  • how the supplier has behaved;
  • what actions you have taken;
  • what offers of payment you have made and when;
  • the effect a disconnection would have on your household, especially on children, people who are ill or who are elderly;
  • disabled members of your household; and
  • your budget.

If you don’t have a representative, you can take along a friend to court to support you. If you want them to be able to speak for you, explain to the magistrate why you need this and ask that your friend is allowed to address the court directly on your behalf. It is up to the magistrate whether they will allow your friend to speak directly to the court, or not. If the magistrate does not allow your friend to speak directly to them, they will usually allow your friend to speak quietly to you, take notes for you and give you advice.

If the court grants the warrant, your supplier must give you seven days’ notice (gas) or seven working days’ notice (electricity) before they can use the warrant to enter and disconnect your supply. Your supplier is actually more likely to offer to fit a prepayment meter than to disconnect your supply. If you are getting benefits, consider whether Fuel Direct could be a better option for you than a prepayment meter. See the earlier section Make an offer you can afford.


If your supplier thinks that fuel has been stolen, they may try to prosecute you for the theft. If they do, try to find out these key details.

  • What do they say happened?
  • What evidence do they have?
  • When do they think that this occurred?

Theft of energy supply or tampering with a meter can result in a criminal prosecution leading to: a £1,000 fine, civil proceedings for the recovery of the debt and, less frequently, imprisonment.

This can also lead to disconnection of your supply at short notice, or no notice in some cases. However, the supplier has to take account whether anyone in the household is a pensioner, disabled or has a long-term medical condition. Disconnection must not take place during the winter months and can only be used as a last resort for non-payment of debt which arose from a theft.

Defending yourself against an accusation of theft can seem daunting. You should get legal advice and contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. See the Useful contacts section for details or contact us for advice.

Getting reconnected

To get reconnected after disconnection for unpaid debt, you will have to pay the original energy debt, a reconnection fee and any administrative costs you have been charged, as long as they are reasonable. You may also have to pay a security deposit before your supplier will agree to supply you again if you don’t want a prepayment meter. You cannot be asked to pay a security deposit if you agree to have a prepayment meter.

Contact your local council to ask if they can help pay for reconnection charges through their welfare assistance scheme. If you have children, consider asking your local Social Services department for help.

If you don’t owe any money to your supplier when they reconnect you, you can ask your supplier to fit you a credit meter so that you don’t have to top it up. Even if you do owe your supplier money, you may be able to argue that it is not safe or reasonably practical for you to have a prepayment meter if you:

  • have medical equipment that needs electricity;
  • are disabled;
  • have a mental health condition; or
  • have a long-term illness.

Once you have paid the outstanding amount, or you have agreed a repayment plan with the supplier, reconnection should occur within 24 hours. If the payment is made, or agreement is reached, outside the hours of the working day, the reconnection period begins from the start of the next working day.

If the supplier fails to reconnect within the appropriate time, they will usually have to pay you a standard payment of £30 within 10 working days.

If you feel that the level of reconnection charges are unfair, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for help in challenging your supplier. See the Useful contacts section for details.

Complaining about your energy supplier

Start with your supplier

If you are not happy about how your supplier has treated you, start by making a complaint to them directly, to see if they can put matters right. Ask for their code of practice and for their complaints procedure, or read these on their website. This gives you the information you need to make an effective complaint in the right way. The code of practice may give you the words to describe exactly how the supplier has not met your expectations and their own standards. The complaints procedure will tell you the steps you need to take to register your complaint with your supplier.

Citizens Advice consumer helpline

Citizens Advice consumer helpline will give you free information about:

  • how to make your energy complaint; and
  • which organisation you should send it to.

See the Useful contacts section for details.


You can also use the free service, Resolver, to help you write to your supplier and to pass your complaint on to the Energy Ombudsman. Resolver’s website tools can help you to:

  • prepare your emails;
  • keep a copy of communications;
  • make a case file where you can save and upload emails and documents; and
  • remember when to escalate your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman.

The Energy Ombudsman

If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint after eight weeks, or if you have received a ‘deadlock’ letter giving your supplier’s final response to your complaint and you are not happy, you can escalate your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. If your complaint is with Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE), you can transfer your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman after six weeks. If the Ombudsman Services: Energy decides in your favour, they can require your supplier to:

  • make an apology;
  • pay financial compensation;
  • take an action to remedy the matter; or
  • any combination of these.

The service is free, but you must make your complaint within a time limit.

  • If your complaint began before 1 October 2015, the service can accept a complaint within six months of a deadlock letter or within nine months of your complaint being raised with your supplier.
  • If your complaint began after 1 October 2015, the service can accept a complaint within 12 months of a deadlock letter. If you have not received a deadlock letter, they may be able to investigate a complaint older than 12 months.

See the Useful contacts section for contact details.

Other steps you can take

If you are not happy with what the Energy Ombudsman has decided, you may be able to take court action, depending on what’s gone wrong. This could involve you in significantly more costs, so you should discuss your plan for action with the  Citizens Advice consumer helpline first. See the Useful contacts section for details.

Help with your energy bills

Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount takes a set amount off your electricity bill, or off your gas bill if you ask your supplier to apply it to that account.

You may be automatically eligible to get the discount if you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit. If you are not eligible to get the Warm Home Discount automatically, you may be able to get it if you are on a low income.

You will need to check if your supplier takes part in the Warm Home Discount scheme and what their eligibility criteria is for the discount. If you think you are eligible it is important to apply as soon as possible. This is because the discount may be given to customers on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you are not getting the Warm Home Discount and you think you should be, contact your supplier.

For more information on the discount, see the GOV.UK page on the Warm Home Discount.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you have reached the age at which you can apply for Pension Credit by the third Monday in September, you may be entitled to a lump sum payment from £100 up to £300 each year called the Winter Fuel Payment. Contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre on 0800 731 0160 or check the GOV.UK page on the Winter Fuel Payment for more information.

Cold Weather Payment

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you are getting certain benefits and the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for seven consecutive days. If you are eligible, you get a payment of £25 for each seven-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) automatically pays it into the same account as the one they use to pay your benefit, within 14 days of the end of each cold weather period. You may be eligible if you are getting one of the following benefits.

  • Pension Credit.
  • Income Support.
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Universal Credit.

See the GOV.UK page on Cold Weather Payment for more information.

Getting the best energy deal

Switching your supplier

You might be able to save some money by switching to a cheaper tariff or supplier, especially if you get both gas and electricity from the same supplier.

  • If you have a credit meter (one you don’t have to top up) and have owed money to your current supplier for 28 days or more, you may not be able to move to a new supplier until you have paid the debt.
  • If you have a prepayment meter and owe £500 or less to your current supplier, you should be allowed to switch.

If you think that you are being treated unfairly and need help to sort it out, contact the  Citizens Advice consumer helpline (see the Useful contacts section for details) or contact us for advice.

Independent internet price-comparison sites can help you find the best deal amongst all the suppliers. The Compare gas and electricity prices tool on the Citizens Advice website includes all tariffs, which other comparison sites may not. Ofgem has approved a number of online comparison services for comparing deals. You can find them on Ofgem’s  website page: Compare gas and electricity tariffs. Money Saving Expert has a page on their website about how to get cheap heating oil.

Tenants' rights

If you are responsible for paying your supplier’s bill rather than your landlord, you have rights to choose your supplier and what method you use to pay your bill. See Ofgem's website page Tenants' energy rights explained for more details.

Fuel Direct and switching

If you are paying for your energy by Fuel Direct deductions from your benefits, you should tell the DWP the details as soon as you know that you are changing your energy supplier.

Check Warm Home Discount

If you already get the Warm Home Discount, check that you will keep this with any new supplier. If you don’t get it automatically, you might not keep it if you move to another supplier. If you lose the Warm Home Discount, your energy might cost more with a new supplier, even if the price looks cheaper.

Real savings?

If you are on the supplier’s standard variable tariff or their default tariff, it is usually the supplier’s most expensive tariff. So, it will always be a good idea to ask your supplier if they have a better tariff or to shop around for a cheaper tariff from a different supplier.

Sometimes the results from internet price comparison sites may suggest that you will get more savings by switching than you actually will. This is because of the way they have to calculate the possible savings you might make by switching supplier or by switching tariff. If this concerns you, you can ask your potential future supplier to give you an estimated figure for what you might save if you moved to them.

Financial help from suppliers

Affordable Warmth Obligation

You may be able to get a grant through the Affordable Warmth Obligation for insulation and heating improvements. This is sometimes called the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) See the Energy Saving Trust website for more information.

Trust funds and hardship funds

Some energy companies have set up funds that may be able to help you pay your energy bills if you are in financial difficulties. Ask your supplier if they have a fund or contact us for advice. Some supplier schemes and funds may be able to help you, whether you are a customer or not. You can get a guide containing all the current trust funds, hardship funds and support schemes called Help with Water & Energy from the Auriga Services Ltd website

Credit on old energy accounts

If you have moved to a different supplier, you may have an old account with an amount of credit still in it. Contact your old supplier to get this credit back. See the Uswitch website for more information.

Energy saving help

You may be able to get a grant or a loan to help with insulation, draught proofing, central heating and other energy-saving measures. Some energy companies offer energy-saving schemes and discounts. Suppliers may offer other kinds of help.

  • The Simple Energy Advice website has helpful information about this. If you cannot use the internet, contact on 0800 444 202. GOV.UK has a calculator which tells you what help you can get with energy grants and heating costs. The Energy Saving Trust has additional information.
  • In Wales, you can also apply for free energy grants and help through the Nest scheme. Contact Nest on 0808 808 2244 or use a call back request form on their website. See the Useful contacts section for details.

Credit reference agencies

Your supplier may send information about your account history and court action to credit reference agencies. This may affect your ability to get credit in the future. See our Credit reference agencies fact sheet for more information.

Other fact sheets that may help you

Coronavirus advice
Credit reference agencies fact sheet

Useful contacts

Citizens Advice consumer helpline A consumer helpline if you need more help with an energy problem Phone: 0808 223 1133

Nest Wales A scheme offering free home energy efficiency improvements to eligible customers Phone: 0808 808 2244

Simple Energy Advice Impartial and independent advice on energy efficiency[]() Phone: 0800 444 202

The Energy Ombudsman An independent body which handles disputes between consumers and energy suppliers Phone: 0330 440 1614