0808 808 4000 Get help now
On this page
At a glance: Find out if you can get help paying court or tribunal fees.
Reading time: 1 min
This summary covers England and Wales
To view information that covers Scotland, please click here.

What is a court or tribunal fee?

If you go to court or a tribunal, you might be asked to pay a fee. This can be if you go to court about things such as rent or mortgage arrears. Fees vary depending on the action you have requested. You might be able to get help with paying the fee.

Will I have to pay a fee?

When you apply for help to pay a court fee, the court will do two tests to see whether you are eligible.  

First, the court will look at your disposable capital. This includes savings, stocks, redundancy payments, and the value of second homes.  

  • If you’re under 66 and have less than £4,250 disposable capital for fees up to £1,420, you should pass the disposable capital test. For fees over £1,420, the rules are different.  
  • If you’re 66 or over and have less than £16,000 disposable capital, you should pass the test.  

If you pass the disposable capital test, the court will then look at your monthly income. They will use this to decide how much of the court fee you should pay.  

If you receive certain benefits, you may not have to pay anything. If you’re on a low income, you may only have to pay part of the fee.  

Can I appeal if I disagree with the decision?

If the court refuses your application, you can appeal. Do this in writing within the time limit the court sets when they write to tell you they have refused your application. This is usually 14 days from when you get the letter. 

Learn more about this topic

If you want to learn more about this topic, you can read our in-depth guide.

Read in-depth-guide

Was this page helpful?

We're here to support you
However you feel comfortable, we can help you make a plan to take control of your debt.